Your Innovation Challenge
You struggle to unlock innovation in your organization. You know the only way to grow and sustain your business is to do something different. You have tried new approaches with varying results, but none of them yielded the outcomes that you need to achieve. You worry that without innovating, your organization will be left behind. You know what got you to this point will not get you where you need to go in the future.
What you need is to unlock innovation in your organization and achieve an enduring competitive advantage. One that goes deeper than the other solutions or frameworks that you have tried before.
Our decades of research have shown that leadership is the critical difference between organizations capable of innovating time and again – and those who struggle. Execution is no longer enough. Leadership as widely understood and practiced today is not what fosters continual innovation. Leaders need to develop and flex a new “muscle” – how to lead for innovation.
|Core Competency||Execution||Execution & innovation|
|Mindset||Setting direction||Shaping context|
|Attention on||Where we are going|
|Why we exist
|Inspire||Followers who execute||Community that innovates|
We have a powerful new approach to this persistent problem that all leaders face in today’s world. Partnering with our clients, we advise leaders on how to shift their leadership mindset, encourage new behaviors, all of which foster a collective movement of innovation. We use sophisticated research methods developed at Harvard Business School to understand your organization. Your world. Your perspective.
Instead of trying to come up with a vision and make innovation happen themselves, a leader of innovation creates a place—a context, an environment—where people are willing and able to do the hard work that innovative problem solving requires.
Know Your Innovation Potential
In ten years, 40% of today’s companies on the S&P 500 may no longer exist. For organizations to thrive in a world of rapid change and complexity, they need to innovate and grow. The ability to do so is perhaps the only enduring competitive advantage.
We define innovation as the creation of something both novel and useful. It can be large or small, breakthrough or incremental. New products, services, business models, and processes are all examples of innovation. Organizations must engage everyone in the effort.
Our decades of research show that leadership is the critical difference between organizations capable of innovating time and again – and those who struggle.
We partner with leaders on the journey of learning to lead innovation and achieving high performance. Our data-driven approach guides leaders in identifying the right levers and actions necessary to achieve sustained innovation and growth. Regardless of industry or geography, we help leaders to release the innovation potential in their talent and achieve growth in their organization. The following services are the keys to unlocking these deeply impactful results:
We created re:Route™ as a powerful approach to assess the innovation potential of an organization and help leaders understand what is needed to enable innovation. By analyzing the organization’s current state, we guide leaders in prioritizing actions to unleash greater innovation and growth within their organization.
We created re:Route™ by leveraging a decade of research on leading innovation. We advise leaders on the three defining attributes that they need to imbed in their organizations to innovate successfully:
- Willingness to innovate: Nurturing a sense of community based on shared purpose, shared values, and rules of engagement.
- Ability to innovate: Developing three critical capabilities for idea generation, experimentation, and integrated decision making.
- Leadership to innovate: Managing a series of paradoxes to create a context that enables the willingness and ability to innovate within the organization.
With re:Route™, we measure the six elements that are essential for creating and leading an innovative organization. These elements support the willingness and ability to innovate within organizations.
We systematically evaluate whether leaders have created the right environment within their organization for innovation to thrive. re:Route™ provides leaders with a mirror that reflects their culture and capacity to innovate. It integrates seamlessly into current objectives and innovation initiatives.
We work with clients in 4 steps:
- A Proprietary Survey: We begin the process with a brief online survey that generates deep insights into the organization’s innovation culture and capabilities. The survey is typically taken by the leader and key team members, but can be applied more broadly.
- Confidential Interviews: We dig deeper in confidential, one-on-one interviews that explore key insights from the survey and understand different perspectives.
- Synthesis: Once this data has been gathered, we synthesize the results into a comprehensive view of the current state of leading innovation in the organization. We identify where the organization is strong and areas of improvement that when addressed will increase its ability to innovate. Moreover, through re:Route™, we introduce a common language for innovation that engages everyone in the effort. This process encourages an open dialogue for raising critical issues and sharing new ideas.
- Action: Using the results of re:Route™, we guide clients in prioritizing actions to unleash greater innovation potential. As advisors, we work with the leader and his/her team to identify next steps that are high impact and sustainable for leading innovation. We offer support for a new approach to leadership that helps our clients succeed in complex and rapidly changing business environments.
Imagine what your organization could accomplish if it were able truly to unleash and harness the slices of genius of all organizational members to produce breakthrough innovations again and again.
Once key organizational barriers to innovation and growth are identified, we are ready to help leaders address critical areas in their organization’s culture, systems and practices. With our counsel, leaders identify actionable steps needed to create or revitalize a culture of innovation. We work with our clients to ensure that the right leadership, talent and behaviors are in place, whether that involves identifying new or existing talent, creating a new organizational design, benchmarking against competitors, and/ or evolving current systems.
Together, we help leaders to create an organizational environment in which people can combine their “slices of genius” into a collective movement of innovation, energized and ready to take on the challenges of tomorrow, known and unknown, predictable and unpredictable. With our guidance, our clients begin to lay the foundation for growth in the future.
Leading for Innovation Program
We offer a premier program called Leading for Innovation. The program takes an action-learning approach designed to build the mindset and capabilities necessary for leading innovation and growth.
The program challenges your assumptions about how innovation happens, strengthens your leadership mindset, and shapes the way you work. You will be stretched: you will explore, learn, debate, and experiment in a hands-on environment. Ultimately, you will come away with a deeper understanding of how to lead for breakthrough innovation.
The program focuses on key pillars:
- The role of the leader in innovation
- The 6 paradoxes of leading innovation
- Individual skills for creating a community
- Rules of engagement
- Building the capabilities to innovate
Should You Join?
You are a top executive and/or entrepreneur ready to transform your understanding of leadership and adopt the right mindset to build a truly innovative company. You want to bring your team along for the ride.