Leading innovation: Respect (week 6)
To effectively lead innovation with respect, establish rules of engagement that focus on mutual respect for all.
Traditional leadership: Old
The conventional view has been that respect is ascribed by seniority and those perceived to be experts.
A fresh approach: New Era
New-era leaders help establish rules of engagement to foster a creative community. One of these rules is that of mutual respect, where members all consider each other competent even though each brings different abilities and strengths. Every colleague is thought to have something to offer. This belief is critical because it fosters the listening, openness, and transparency necessary for an innovative culture.
Bring it to life:
- Establish a clear set of behavioral expectations and rules of engagement for collaboration that everyone can count on.
- Foster the belief that everyone has something valuable to contribute
- Practice listening and model attentiveness in meetings, no matter who is speaking
- Strive to be, and encourage others to be, honest and forthright in conversations
- Invite diverse points of view, welcome differences of opinion and respectful creative clashes
- Do not allow people to demean others publicly or privately
Next week: Mutual Influence
Build mutually respectful and beneficial relationships.
Innovation solutions from Paradox Strategies
Our Collective Genius simulation and learning journey is designed to help leaders inspire action, nourish creativity, and build a culture of innovation. We also offer keynotes and our proprietary innovation diagnostic assessments re:Mind™ and re:Route™ as first steps in developing the mindset, culture, and capabilities of innovative organizations. Contact us via the form below if you would like to know how to bring these great tools to your organization.