Leading innovation: Collaboration (week 3)
To lead innovation using collaboration, focus on rewarding the team, not star performers.
The conventional view has been that, as a leader, you reward star performers who get the job done well.
Here’s a fresh approach to leadership*:
Our research shows new-era leaders should reward teams who get the job done well together.
Bring it to life:
- Model collaboration, Deomonstrate what collaboration looks like. e.g. with your senior team and other colleagues or groups; limit taking action in isolation and/or showing up with fully-formed thoughts.
- Appoint diverse, cross-functional teams to work together on difficult problems.
- Allow working groups the time, autonomy, and head cover to work on solutions to problems.
- Allow yourself to be influenced by asking questions, presenting new data, and offering feedback, but refrain from directing a result.
- Make space for employees at every level of the organization to give feedback on work in progress
- Highlight teamwork in town halls, companywide emails, etc.
Next week: Learning
How to smoothly integrate continuous learning into your company’s ongoing operations.
*Fresh means up-to-date, modern, based on fresh research, ideas, real-world application.
Innovation solutions from Paradox Strategies
Our Collective Genius simulation and learning journey is designed to help leaders inspire action, nourish creativity, and build a culture of innovation. We also offer keynotes and our proprietary innovation diagnostic assessments re:Mind™ and re:Route™ as first steps in developing the mindset, culture, and capabilities of innovative organizations. Contact us via the form below if you would like to know how to bring these great tools to your organization.